(HEIRS OF WATSON ISLAND, BOOK 1)
Simon & Schuster, Simon Pulse Hardcover, 10/28/14
All her life, Barrie Watson has been a virtual prisoner in the house where she lives with her shut-in mother. When her mother dies, Barrie promises to put some mileage on her stiletto heels. But she finds a new kind of prison at her aunt’s South Carolina plantation instead–a prison guarded by an ancient spirit who long ago cursed one of the three founding families of Watson Island and gave the others magical gifts that became compulsions.
Stuck with the ghosts of a generations-old feud and hunted by forces she cannot see, Barrie must find a way to break free of the family legacy. With the help of sun-kissed Eight Beaufort, who somehow seems to know what Barrie wants before she knows herself, the last Watson heir starts to unravel her family’s twisted secrets. What she finds is dangerous: a love she never expected, a river that turns to fire at midnight, a gorgeous cousin who isn’t what she seems, and very real enemies who want both Eight and Barrie dead.
Early Praise for Compulsion:“Darkly romantic and steeped in Southern Gothic charm, you’ll be compelled to get lost in the Heirs of Watson Island series.” — #1 New York Times Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout
"A fresh twist on the Southern Gothic — haunting, atmospheric, and absorbing.” — Claudia Gray, New York Times bestselling author of A Thousand Pieces of You and the Evernight and Spellcaster series
"Compulsion is a stunningly magical debut with a delicious slow burn to be savored. I want to live in this story world!" — Wendy Higgins, USA Today and NYT bestselling author of the Sweet Evil trilogy from HarperTeen
"A star-crossed romance, lush gothic plantations, and an island full of intrigue--Compulsion was a heart-pounding race to the finish! A thrilling debut!" — Kimberly Derting, author of The Body Finder series
"Beautifully written, with vivid characters, a generations-old feud, and romance that leaps off the page, this Southern ghost story left me lingering over every word, and yet wanting to race to the compelling finish. Martina Boone's Compulsion is not to be missed." — Megan Shepherd, Author of The Madman’s Daughter
“In Boone’s debut, an expansive Southern gothic tale, Barrie Watson is sent to live with her aunt Pru on Watson Island after Barrie’s shut-in mother, Lula, dies and her godfather is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Barrie was born with a “finding gift” that compels her to seek what is lost or left unsettled, and amid the Beaufort and Colesworth clans—the founding families of Watson Island, along with Barrie’s forebears—Barrie learns she isn’t the only one with a gift. Curses plague Watson Island, ghosts haunt its mansions, evil spirits live in its woods, and a frightening “Fire Carrier” emerges at night over its waters. Together, Barrie and a handsome Beaufort boy named Eight seek justice and to right old wrongs. Though the novel is grounded in the present day, there’s an old-fashioned quality to Boone’s dialogue and characters; she skillfully blends rich magic and folklore with adventure, sweeping romance, and hidden treasure, all while exploring the island and its accompanying legends. An impressive start to the Heirs of Watson Island series.” — Publishers Weekly
Order CompulsionSigned copies are available for pre-order from One More Page Books. You can also pre-order with the special “I have a Compulsion for reading” bookplate from Eight Cousins.
Add to Goodreads
Martina Boone was born in Prague and spoke several languages before learning English. She fell in love with words and never stopped delighting in them.
She’s the founder of AdventuresInYAPublishing.com, a Writer’s Digest 101 Best Websites for Writers site, and YASeriesInsiders.com, a site devoted to encouraging literacy and all things YA Series.
From her home in Virginia, where she lives with her husband, children, and Auggie the wonder dog, she enjoys writing contemporary fantasy set in the kinds of magical places she’d love to visit. When she isn’t writing, she’s addicted to travel, horses, skiing, chocolate flavored tea, and anything with Nutella on it.
Ten Random Things
1) I can find cute (four-legged) mammals pretty much anywhere. A random cat once ran up my body to my shoulder in Rhodes, Greece, and I found a stray horse in the Swiss Alps. A practically had to adopt a young elephant at an orphanage in Sri Lanka, and a bull licked my camera lens in the Scottish valley where Rob Roy used to live.
2) I love to travel. I visited twelve countries last year, and ten this year.
3) When I was growing up, I used to keep a list of “Things I Will Never Do To My Kids” — I never have.
4) I get embarrassingly obsessed with songs. My current obsession is the beautiful “Truly Brave” mashup between Sara Bareilles’ “Brave” and Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors”
5) I adore horses—their gorgeous, generous, shining spirits and their fragile strength.
6) I married my husband less than eleven months after we met, and he told me he loved me at a poker party two weeks after we met.
7) My parents and I escaped from the Czech Republic and didn’t have enough money to pay for the ferry.
8) I once met the Queen of Denmark.
9) I’m a proud military wife—my husband served in the Air Force, and his service and constant dedication to this country is one of the things that makes me love him.
10) I started writing YA because my daughter has a learning disability and we were reading her YA books together.